Candidates must bring proof of prerequisites to registration and to the first day of class. If you purchase your course materials online, please bring your receipt with you to the pool when you pick up your manuals/materials. Courses are subject to cancellation if numbers are insufficient. Register online at http://www.brantford.ca/recconnect Registration will continue up to two days prior to course start date.
Program Refund Policy
This program is an excellent preparation for success in Bronze Medallion. Participants develop problem-solving and decision-making skills individually and in partners. Candidates learn CPR and develop the lifesaving skills needed to be their own lifeguard. Includes a timed 400m swim. Note: Registration begins May 3 at 8:00 am.
- Mondays July 2- August 27 (Activity #5837) 6:45-8:45 pm
- Thursdays July 5-August 23 (Activity #5838) 5:00-7:00 pm
Materials: CPR Mask Kit $19.50
Duration: 16 hours of instruction
Bronze Medallion & Emergency First Aid
This program develops physical fitness, decision-making and judgement skills in preparation for challenging rescues or increased risk. Candidates must be able to complete a 500m swim in 15 minutes or less. Note: Registration begins Thursday, May 3 at 8:00 am.
- Tuesdays July 3-August 21 (Activity #5839) 4:30-8:00 pm
- Monday-Friday July 16-July 27 (Activity #5840) 9:00 am-12:00 pm
Materials: Canadian Lifesaving Manual $51, Bronze Medallion Workbook $6.25 & CPR Mask Kit $19.50
Prerequesites: Bronze Star or minimum 13+
Duration: 28 hours of instruction
This course is a preparation for National Lifeguard designed to teach advanced training techniques, principles of emergency procedures, teamwork, and use of special equipment. Candidates must be able to complete a 600m swim in 18 minutes or less. Note: Registration begins Thursday, May 3 at 8:00 am.
Choose from a variety of sessions available:
- Thursdays July 5-August 23 (Activity #5841) 4:30-8:00 pm
- Monday-Friday July 30-August 10 (Activity #5842) 9:00 am-12:00 pm
Materials: Bring materials used in Bronze Medallion, Bronze Cross Workbook $6.25
Prerequisites: Bronze Medallion and Emergency First Aid
Duration: 28 hours of instruction
Standard First Aid
This course includes CPR-C and AED training and provides comprehensive training covering all aspects of first aid and CPR. Lifesaving Society Standard First Aid is recognized by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).
Dates: Check back for dates this fall
Materials: Canadian First Aid Manual $14.50 & CPR Mask Kit $19.50
Standard First Aid (Recert)
Date: check back for dates this fall
National Lifeguard (pool option)
This certification is Canada's professional lifeguard standard. This training emphasizes prevention and effective rescue response in emergencies.
- Friday, May 4 & 11 - 5:00-10:00 pm, Saturday, May 5 & 12 - 8:00 am-6:00 pm, Sunday, May 6 8:00 am-4:00 pm and Sunday, May 13 8:00 am-2:00 pm (February 2-4 & 9-11) Barcode 112803
- Friday-Sunday (x2) September 21-23 and September 28-30 (Fridays 5:00-10:00 pm, Saturdays & Sundays 8:00 am-6:00 pm) Activity #5916 (NOTE: Registration for this program begins Thursday, May 3 at 8:00 am)
Materials: Alert: Lifeguarding in Action $51.00 & CPR Mask Kit $19.50
Prerequisites: 16 years of age on or before course completion date and Bronze Cross and current Standard First Aid Certification (certified by one of the following four agencies: Lifesaving Society, Canadian Red Cross, St. John Ambulance and Canadian Ski Patrol).
Duration: 40 hours of instruction
National Lifeguard Re-certification
Previous certification as a NLS Lifeguard. Please bring certification card. See description for National Lifeguard above.
- Saturday, June 2 (113986)
- Saturday, September 8 (Activity #5917) Note: Registration for this class begins Thursday, May 3.
Duration: 6 hours
Water Safety Instructor Re-certification
Previous certification of Water Safety Instructor.
- June 2 (113986)
- September 8 (Activity #5922) Note: Registration begins Thursday, May 3 for this course.
Time: 3:00 pm-8:00 pm
Aquatic Supervisor Training
This course prepares candidates for the responsibilities associated with being aquatic supervisors, head lifeguards and pool managers.
Prerequisites: Lifesaving Instructor or National Lifeguard. Candidates must bring a letter from their employer confirming that they have completed a minimum of 100 hours of lifeguarding or instructing.
Date: Saturday, May 5 (113990)
Time: 8:00 am-9:00 pm
NEW! Step 1: Attend the "Instructors Course-Part 1: Screening"
The Instructors Course is a requirement to attend prior to beginning the Instructor course. All manuals will be distributed at the screening, swimming strokes will be assessed, peer teaching assignments and online module training requirements will be discussed. Note: Registration begins Thursday, May 3 at 8:00 am.
- June 30 (Activity #5919)
- September 15 (Activity # 5920)
Time: 9:00 am-6:00 pm
NEW! Step 2: Attend the "Instructors Course-Part 2: Course"
The Swimming Instructors course combines two industry leading instructor certifications.
Water Safety Instructor: Upon successful completion of this program candidates will be able to instruct the swimming lesson program (Water Safety Program). Sessions include developing skills in the areas of class management, teaching, evaluation, leadership, communication and administration. Prerequisites: 15+ years of age and one of the following Bronze Cross OR National Lifeguard.
Lifesaving Instructor: Upon successful completion of this program candidates will be able to instruct lifesaving and leadership programs (Bronze Levels). Sessions include learning to organize, plan, teach and evaluate lifesaving and first aid skills and resuscitation techniques in the lifesaving Society's lifesaving and first aid awards. Prerequisites: 16+ years of age and one of the following Bronze Cross OR National Lifeguard.
- Fridays (May 18 & June 1), Saturdays (May 19 & June 2) and Sundays (May 20-June 3) 9:00 am-6:00 pm (114267)
- Friday-Sunday (x2) August 21-September 2 and September 7-9 (Fridays 5:00-10:00 pm, Saturdays and Sundays 9:00 am-6:00 pm) Activity #5921 (NOTE: Registration for this course begins Thursday, May 3)